Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A book by it's cover


Related links to Spatialworlds 
Geogaction
Spatialworlds website
GeogSpace

Australian Geography Teachers' Association website
'Towards a National Geography Curriculum' project website
Humsteach blog

manning@chariot.net.au    

Where am I??  
Adelaide, Australia: S: 34º 55' E: 138º 36'


 Just geographically interesting

Over the past year I have been curating a Scoop.it called 'Just real interesting'. As I say in the introduction to the Scoop.it, this site is: 

A Scoop.it of just interesting things with an obvious fascination with all things historical, social,  cultural and geographical (and just things real interesting!)

As a result of this rather vague description and in turn Internet trawling of the Scoop.it, I have curated a rather eclectic site. The site is particularly strong in the area of Cultural Geography and makes for some interesting reading, highly relevant to Human Geography. At times it is a challenge to see how it fits into a definition of geography but considering geography is dependent on the reader using the geographical lens, I think we can claim that almost any story can be seen as geography.  Here is just a taste of some of the very interesting sites from the Scoop.it on the perspective of appearance and culture and the related issues of beauty, sexism, racism and difference.

*  Muslim Woman Discovers Friendly New World When a Winter Scarf Covers Her Hijab

* How people in Muslim countries prefer women to dress in public

*  The burka ban in France

*  Guy Brings His White Girl To Barbershop In Harlem...

* Holloween costumes and racism 

* Supermodel wears Hijab for a day

* Anti-Muslim harassment

* Which place is actually more racist

* Finding cultural voice

* Body modification

* Little boys wearing dresses

* Advertising's Image of Women

* Girls wearing pink

* Muslim beauty pageant

* Fattening rooms for appearance 

* Foot binding

* Tatoos

* Scarification

* Beauty and men

* Concept of beauty

* Lip plates

Go to the Just Real Interesting Scoop.it to view more articles of great interest to the cultural geographer. I think you would agree there is some pretty eclectic but fascinating material there for the human geography classroom.


 


No comments: